There really is no telling when the contract dispute between Melvin Gordon and the Los Angeles Chargers will be settled and sorted. Over the last month or so, the storyline surrounding the Pro-Bowl tailback has fluctuated.
As we know, the former Wisconsin superstar formally requested a trade out of La La Land and was reportedly disgruntled after the organization offered him $10 million per year in their latest maneuver.
All of those narratives materialized in late July, and, according to ESPN insider Josina Anderson, talks between both sides have not advanced in the two weeks since.
Progress update on #LAC RB Melvin Gordon~text yest said, "nothing at all." But I was told the team recently reached out to Gordon to say "he's still missed & still family." Though I was told LA was really happy w/ efficiency of AK & JJ vs. ARZ, told still view Gordon "as our #1."— ig: josinaanderson (@JosinaAnderson) August 13, 2019
In probably the least surprising news ever, the Chargers allegedly "miss" a player who's tallied 28 touchdowns and a shade under 3,000 rushing yards across the last three seasons.
What is actually newsworthy here, however, is that Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson continue to produce in training camp and the early stages of the preseason -- two facts that only thicken the prolonged plot by persuading the franchise that they don't necessarily need Gordon to achieve their goals in 2019.
It's impossible to predict when this stalemate will perish, but if the reports surrounding the tale hold true, neither side is planning to capitulate anytime soon.