After reports came out that the New York Mets were heavily pursuing Miami Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto, it seems that may no longer be the case.
According to reports from Wednesday morning, the Mets haven't given up on Realmuto, but that they haven't made progress in the last 24 hours and are now currently looking at alternative plans at the moment.
Mets haven’t given up on Realmuto but haven’t made progress on that front last 24 hours and are looking into alternative plans at the moment. Preference at catcher is to get a strong defender.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) December 12, 2018
It's no secret that New York is in need of an upgrade at catcher, but you can't blame the Marlins for wanting a lot in return for Realmuto, especially if they were to trade him to a divisional foe.
It was previously reported that a blockbuster three-team trade was discussed between the Mets, Marlins and the New York Yankees that would've sent Realmuto to Queens and starting pitcher Noah Syndergaard to the Bronx. However, it looks like this trade is not going to happen.
According to someone close to the situation, one iteration of the Yankees/Mets/Marlins trade has Syndergaard going to the Yankees, Realmuto going to the Mets and Andujar, Rosario and possibly Tomas Nido to Miami. The deal is still very possible, I’m told— Dan Federico (@DanJFederico) December 11, 2018
The Yankees were also linked to Realmuto, but general manager Brian Cashman said that Gary Sanchez will be the starting catcher in 2019, so it is unlikely that the team will acquire another starting catcher.
Despite the interest cooling off, it wouldn't shock me if the Mets still do wind up acquiring Realmuto with new general manager Brodie Van Wagenen trying to make a huge splash.