We've all been waiting for the Seahawks defensive dynasty to crumble, and it's finally happening.
It's a fitting end to the Legion of Boom as they were certainly a unit that had a flair for the dramatic. With fellow secondary mates Jeremy Lane and Kam Chancellor posting cryptic messages on social media it seemed like it would be Richard Sherman who would be the first one out the door.
What started out as just drama stirred up by some teammates has become more official with the involvement of Pete Carroll and John Schneider.
Seattle's head coach and GM are meeting with Sherman to discuss the cornerback's future.
#Seahawks star Richard Sherman is scheduled to meet with coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider later today to discuss his future, I'm told.— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) March 7, 2018
That can't be good.
Sherman was originally included in a report that stated either himself or fellow All-Pro Earl Thomas would be moved at some point this offseason. His meeting with his coach combined with his apparent goodbye messages to teammates make it seem like he's out the door.
#Seahawks CB Richard Sherman has told teammates goodbye over the past 24 hours, sources say, and that he won’t be on the team. Those close to him say nothing is set in stone and there has been no official word. But clearly bears watching.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 7, 2018
However, it can't be that easy with Sherman. After last year's debacle regarding his placement on the trade block, you had to know this wasn't going to end quickly.
According to Sherman, it might not end at all.
#Seahawks CB Richard Sherman just text me, "I'm good. Not sure what that's about...Haven't been told anything," in reference to Jeremy Lane's tweet.— Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) March 7, 2018
This just seems like Sherman had his spot blown up by Lane and Chancellor when he wasn't ready to speak to the media. Following his meeting with Carroll and company, we should have a more definitive answer.